Fashion changes every season and we rotate our wardrobe to stay relevant. Whether you wear the same tee or tank or just the same pair of pants, we would like to offer some tips and tricks to keep those cherished pieces looking their best and lasting longer.
1. Washing. Reduce the amount of detergent for each load. Using too much can leave stains or residue on clothes.
- Flip clothes inside out. Any pieces with decals, embroidering, or even dark colored clothing will be better protected. Zip and button up before throwing them in the wash so they aren’t snagged on each other.
- Most importantly, sort your clothes! Separating will help prevent your whites from turning a hue of whatever color you just threw in the wash.
2. Drying. We want to laundry to dry quickly while killing whatever bacteria is on your clothes (two birds; one stone, right?). Unless they are your undies, you should be more patients. High heat will permanently set stains and cause damage to fabrics. Air-drying or low-heat is a great option to keep fabrics at their best quality. Always check the label to see what is recommended.
3. Dry clean. Dry cleaning uses harsh chemical that are not only terrible for the environment, but also can deteriorate the fabrics of your clothes. Instead, consider investing in a steamer or gently hand wash if possible.
4. Denim. The perfect jeans that feel fantastic yet fit perfectly in all the right places are hard to come by. Let’s protect those scared jeans.
- Wash rarely – once every few months is the trick (6 months or longer if you can handle it). The CEO of Levi’s lives by this philosophy. Immediately spot treat spills and stains to prevent frequent washes.
- When you do wash: Washing in cold water minimizes shrinkage and prevent fading. Just make sure they’re turned inside out! (For black jeans – try to wash by hand and add vinegar to prevent color loss!)
5. Guppyfriend washing bag. With each wash cycle, microfibers from our clothes make their ways from the machines to rivers, lakes, and oceans. This begins a harmful cycle to the environment, aquatic organisms, then to our bodies through food chain. The Guppyfriend bag prevents micro plastic pollution AND protects our clothes. Read more about it on https://en.guppyfriend.com/.
These are just some of many ways to keep your favorites in their best shape! What’s your favorite hack or tip to keeping clothes lasting longer? Comment down below!